Please note, there may be minor changes to the curriculum from year to year, teachers always check with your Curriculum Advisor and students, check with your teacher. Please click on the feedback icon on the right if you have anything to contribute or if you have any questions.
1. What was the impact of the Cold War in forming the world as it was in the 1960s?
- USSR/USA and the cold war – creating spheres of interest
- What role did the United Nations (UN) and other multi-lateral organisations such as the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) and the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) play in attempting to mediate conflict?
2. How was uhuru realised in Africa in the 1960s and 1970s?
- Quest for Uhuru: Introduction
- What were the ideas that influenced the independent states?
- Focus on decolonisation and challenges in: Ghana and Tanzania
- What types of states were set up?
3. What forms of civil society protest emerged from the 1960s to 1970s?
4. What was the impact of the collapse of the USSR in 1989?
5. How did South Africa emerge as a democracy from the crises of the 1990s?
Please note that the section originally in the curriculum on globalisation is not being examined as the Department of Education decided the new curriculum is too long, especially in the light of the fact that is brand new for both teachers and learners.