Note: Some grade 11 sections are under construction and still link to old content. Also note, there may be minor changes to the curriculum from year to year, teachers always check with your Curriculum Advisor and students, check with your teacher. Click on the feedback icon on the right if you have anything to contribute or if you have any questions.
1. Challenges to capitalism; Russian Revolution and the establishment of the Communist state
- Definitions: Capitalism, Communism, Marxism and Revolution
- What is difference between capitalism & communism and why did it start in Russia?
- The implementation of Leninism in Russia and the changes made
- Stalinism and how Stalin used his power to change Marxism-Leninism
- The impact of Lenin and Stalin's policies on the rights of the Russian people
- How Lenin and Stalin are remembered today
2. Crisis of capitalism: The Great Depression in the USA and its wider impact in terms of the emergence of fascist economies and states
- The Great Depression and why did it started in the USA (under construction)
- Why did the Great Depression cause a crisis for capitalism?
- How did the Depression spread to other countries?
- What was the impact of the Great Depression in Germany?
- How did it influence the rise of Nazism?
- What were the differences between the Fascist economies of Italy and Germany?
3. The impact of pseudo- scientific racism and Social Darwinism on the 19th and 20th Centuries
- What is Social Darwinism and eugenics? How did these influence the notion of race?
- How did the USA apply principles of Darwinism and eugenics during this era?
- How did these ideas spread to Europe and Australia?
- What was the link between US eugenic movements and Hitler's ideas of racial state, including his ideas of master race?
- How did Hitler set up a racial state in Germany? How did Hitler take away the rights of the people of Germany? How did his racial policy lead to persecution and genocide?
- How similar or different were racial policies of Nazi Germany before 1938 and the apartheid laws in South Africa?
4. Competing nationalisms and identities in Africa
- Explain the concepts African nationalism and Pan-Africanism (under construction)
- The roots of African nationalism and Pan Africanism (under construction)
- What were the roots of African nationalism in South Africa? What links did it have with Pan Africanism? (under construction)
- Compare and contrast Afrikaner and African nationalism in South Africa. How did they compete with one another? (under construction)
- How are African and Afrikaner nationalism commemorated today? How are memorials and commemorations reinterpreted when times change? (under construction)
5. The impact of World War II: how the nature of political quest for independence in Africa changed after 1945
6. Apartheid, race, segregation and human rights
- How was segregation a foundation for apartheid? (under construction)
- To what extent was apartheid in South Africa part of neo-colonialism in the post World War 2 world (1948-1960)? (under construction)
- How did apartheid entrench ideas of race? (under construction)
- What was the nature of resistance to apartheid during these decades, and how was this resistance part of wider resistance in the world to human rights abuses? (under construction)